Friday 18th August 2017 is #FreeTheKnee day for Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar
#FreeTheKnee challenges you to throw away your organisation’s normal Friday dress code and encourage your staff to wear shorts whilst raising awareness and money for Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar.
#FreeTheKnee is a great opportunity for your organisation to support people and their families affected by prostate cancer in the local community. The event will inspire people to have fun, as well as providing information and education in Gibraltar about prostate cancer and other prostate diseases.
For the past two years, GFSC members of staff have been raising awareness and support for Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar by “Freeing the Knee” and wearing shorts to the office. As well as wearing shorts, staff organised breakfast and a number of our male employees bravely had their legs waxed to help raise more money for this worthy cause. Last year, many of you got involved by wearing shorts and supporting the day in your own ways. We’d like to thank you again for your fantastic contributions and helping us raise awareness of the work done by this charity. Given the success of the event last year, we want to go even further, get more of you involved, and get the event out in to the public even more.
There are lots of ways you can show your support for Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar on Friday 18th August:
- Wear shorts to work: proudly sport your shorts to work.
- Register your interest and we’ll drop off Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar merchandise (until stocks last).
- Promote #FreeTheKnee to your clients or customers: tell them you are supporting #FreeTheKnee.
- Organise a charitable event or collection within the office to raise money to donate.
- Enter the corporate challenge: upload a photo of your ‘shorts-wearing’ team on Facebook and tag the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission or tweet (@gibfsc) plus the hashtag #FreeTheKnee, for a chance to win some great prizes!
The photo with the most likes by Monday 21st at 9am will win, so make sure to tell everyone and get sharing on social media to help!
This year, as well as everything we all did last year listed above, we are doing a bit extra:
1. Take a Kneemoji selfie! Draw or paint an emoji on your knee, and make it your Facebook profile picture! Copy and paste this message on to your wall along with your #Kneemoji:
“I nominate XX, XX & XX to take on the #FreeTheKnee #Kneemoji challenge!
Take a #Kneemoji and post it as your profile picture to raise awareness and funds for Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar by donating here. Nominate 3 people to take the challenge and donate!
Click here for further information on Prostate Cancer from Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar”.
2. On Saturday 5th August, we will be fundraising and selling raffle tickets for some great prizes outside Morrisons if you want to pay us a visit!
3. We will be taking a huge shorts selfie in casemates at 1pm on Friday 18th August!
Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar seeks to limit the impact of prostate cancer and other prostate diseases to everyone including partners and families. They seek to prioritise the vital need for prostate problems to be detected and treated as early as possible and represent the interests of those diagnosed with prostate cancer and other prostate diseases. Their overall mission is to find ways and means to promote quality of life for prostate cancer patients and their families. Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar is raising funds to purchase Fusion Guided Biopsy equipment, described below:
MR-US fusion represents a promising new tool to address many of the limitations of conventional biopsy methods. Fusion is a fluid process that involves “de-forming” an image and warping it to blend with the form of another. For medical purposes in the prostate, fusion merges previously captured MRI images with live Ultrasound images. Special software is necessary that can recognize both types of images, assign “coordinates” to each type, and match the images coordinate-by-coordinate. The result a synthetic 3D image of the patient’s gland that is quite accurate and which can be manipulated on the computer screen so the urologist can view it from every angle, and the suspicious area is highlighted within the image.
The benefits of fusion guided biopsies include:
- An improved approach to finding prostate tumours that need to be treated while overlooking those that don’t require treatment. Fusion-guided biopsy detected 30% more high-grade cancers, which are potentially more dangerous, and 17% fewer slow-growing, low-risk cancers than standard biopsy.
- Reduces the number of repeated biopsies by giving better information the first time around.
- Should also be a boon to men who have been diagnosed with small, slow-growing prostate tumours and who are on active surveillance by possibly reducing the number of biopsies they must undergo.
- Significantly reduces the risk of infection.
The charity is committed to raising funds for the Fusion Guided Biopsy equipment. Visit the Prostate Cancer Support Group Gibraltar website and/or their Facebook page for more information.
For more information about this year’s event or ways in which your organisation can further support the cause, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.justgiving.com/fundraising/FreeTheKnee2017
We currently have the following prizes up for grabs in the raffle!
1st Prize = £656
Reshape & Rumble 5 x R&R classes
Reshape & Rumble 1 x 30 min PT with Reece or Nick
Sunborn A meal for two
Libelula Beautiful Pink bag
Monsoon striped beach bag in a bag
Shoe £30 Voucher
Essarada Thomas Sabo bracelet
Music Corner - Star wars lego
In motion - Water bottle and gym towel
Gache - Police Sunglasses
Little Rock £25 Voucher
Aphrodite £25 Voucher
Star of India His and Her Versace perfume
Brow House Brow maintenance/HD brow
2nd Prize = £313
Reshape & Rumble 1 x 30 min Reform Class
Jury’s Inn £20 Voucher
Libelula Grey star baby pillow
Vijays Zodiac day and night binoculars
Antonio Jewellers pearl earrings
S.M Seruya Estee Lauder perfume collection
Trafalgar Pharmacy Mix of goodies
Café solo voucher
Mayfair on Main (hairdresser) voucher
R.S Jewlers Guess Earrings
3rd Prize = £167
Reshape & Rumble 2 x Reshape & Rumble Classes
Bridge Bar £20 voucher
All Wrapped Up - corkcicle (bottle beer chiller)
Mascot - 2 x whisky Glasses
Hotel Chocolat Billionaire chocolate slab
Liberty Electronics headphones
Costa Coffee 2 x free coffees
Silver Shop Gibraltar Pen
Venice Ltd £15 voucher
3 x separate prizes of:
1 Month free pass Strength factory
1 Months free pass Ocean Village Gym
3 Months free pass O’callaghan Gym
- Hamper from Sacarello's
- Casio digital camera - 12.1 megapixels, 2.8" wide, 3x optical zoom, colour silver